We believe that the purpose of art education is to take children on a personal journey, stimulating their creativity and imagination, enabling them to expand their ability to interact with the world around them and develop a more thorough understanding of art and design and how it has shaped our history and culture.
We want to give children the skills, concepts and knowledge necessary for them to express responses to ideas and experiences in a visual or tactile form, to fire their imagination and to express who they are through differing media.
Every child has a right to a curriculum which aims to engage, inspire and challenge. We want to cultivate their enjoyment through a rich and varied art and design curriculum and for all to help design and facilitate opportunities to progress their skills, for children to be able to think critically and to be a able convey personal responses in original ways.
Children to develop resilience through controlled risk taking and experimentation using different media to gain value from engaging in personal creative discovery
Children to recall important pieces of art work, artists, time periods as well as comment on their historical and cultural significance.
Children to be able to evaluate and analyse creative works using the language of art
We will achieve the above by:
- Teaching art and art skills regularly, providing additional opportunities to engage with art and design activities throughout the school year.
- Providing a range of opportunities to learn and progress a range of skills through a variety of experiences.
- Utilising our sketchbooks and Tapestry for experimenting taking risks and evaluative comments.
- Celebrating effort, progress and achievement in art through displays, exhibitions and enrichment activities, such as trips out, competitions and local artists.
- Promote cultural capital by teaching students a broad range of knowledge, which exposes them to the best that has been said and thought throughout history.
By the end of their time with us, we want our pupils to be confident to explore, experiment and take risks, placing value on the process and journey that they take.
All pupils would have learned, improved and embedded a range of artistic skills with an awareness of a broad range of artists, and be able to discuss the artworks they come across. Most importantly, we want children to have found and enjoyed a creative outlet with a means of self-expression and enjoyment.
Please have a look at some of our wonderful art experiences here